Free Castanea dentata (American Sweet Chestnut) nuts!!!!

  • cromlech108
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
      Only a few, but if you want some for free including international
      postage please email me with a contact name and address.

      Blessed be.

      Jim.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
        I would be interested !

        Geir Flatabø
        Torblå
        N-5730 Ulvik
        Norway.

        cromlech108 skrev:

        >Only a few, but if you want some for free including international
        >postage please email me with a contact name and address.
        >
        >Blessed be.
        >
        >Jim.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Stephe
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
          Jim: I would also be very interested in a few nuts. I can send postage or
          you can choose what you like from my seed list (mostly edibles) at
          http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/stevil. I'll send you an email
          with my address details.

          Are the nuts harvested in the UK?

          Stephen (in Norway)
        • Shirley Kirby
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
            Hi Jim

            I'd be interested in some of these - I'm assuming that I can plant them in Scotland?

            I had a sweet chestnut tree when I lived up here previously but had to leave it behind when I moved down south... now I'm back, permanently and would like to grow my own from seed.

            Shirley

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
              There is one tree of Castanea dentata in Edinburgh Botanical Garden - a
              nice specimen !

              Geir Flatabø

              Shirley Kirby skrev:

              > Hi Jim
              >
              > I'd be interested in some of these - I'm assuming that I can plant
              > them in Scotland?
              >
              > I had a sweet chestnut tree when I lived up here previously but had to
              > leave it behind when I moved down south... now I'm back, permanently
              > and would like to grow my own from seed.
              >
              > Shirley

            • Shirley Kirby
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 15, 2005
                Will have to go and visit the botanical garden when I visit my friend next year - we are in Aberdeenshire.

                Shirley

                Shirley Kirby skrev:

                > Hi Jim

                > I'd be interested in some of these - I'm assuming that I can plant
                > them in Scotland?

                > I had a sweet chestnut tree when I lived up here previously but had to
                > leave it behind when I moved down south... now I'm back, permanently
                > and would like to grow my own from seed.

                > Shirley

              • Griselda
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Re: [pfaf] Free Castanea dentata  (American Sweet Chestnut) nuts!!!!
                  In the south of England, sweet chestnut is planted extensively in coppiced woodlands. These are lopped down to ground level when the trunks or stems have reached 20 – 30 feet in height (perhaps every 10 or 15 years) and the pole timber used for fencing, pit props, building work, etc.    Coppices are easily recognised by the multiple growths coming from one root area, so the wood has a tufty look.  Usually an area of an acre or so is cut and left to regrow, and then an adjoining area would be cut next, so the wood has patches with different ages of growth.  The same system is used in France but there they can cut more frequently, perhaps as often as each 7 or 8 years in a warm district, which is obviously a more profitable use of the land.

                  Other species such as oak or birch which have found their way in are often left standing. Perhaps the coppicing helped valuable oak to grow straight to produce fine timber which could only be cut after a much longer time, maybe 100 years or more.

                  This is a medieval industry/technology and threatened by the onslaught of plastic products or factory-produced items nowadays.   Many of the woodlands are neglected – labour is too expensive and there is a less avid market for these timber products.  However, it is these same woods which are filled with the famous and devastatingly beautiful wild English bluebells each spring, and there are living in the woods many shy creatures – boar, deer, badgers, etc.

                  The sweet chestnut woodlands did in the old days provide whole families with a livelihood...cutting the timber, de-barking it if necessary other preparatory work, and collecting and selling the nuts in the autumn. Here in Kent I knew of one such family still working the woodlands, about 5 years ago.
                • Shirley Kirby
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                    Re: [pfaf] Free Castanea dentata  (American Sweet Chestnut) nuts!!!!
                    Thank you for this fascinating information. Such a shame that plastic and factory-produced items are so popular nowadays. We try not to buy such items - will buy second hand though as this at least keeps them out of landfill.

                    We are planning to plant around 300 native trees here in Aberdeenshire - in fact we are just waiting for the message to tell us that they are ready to pick up (no doubt will be today as it's snowing here :-)) Last time I planted a native hedge it was a day like today. I am hoping to a living fence from the willow and to make baskets (though I confess I don't know how to do this yet but will learn) and other willow items to sell.

                    I wonder whether the family from Kent are still working the woodlands now. I hope so - and hope that it will continue for many years.

                    Shirley

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                      Then you shall have some!

                      Blessed be!

                      Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
                      I would be interested !

                      Geir Flatabø
                      Torblå
                      N-5730 Ulvik
                      Norway.

                      cromlech108 skrev:

                      >Only a few, but if you want some for free including international
                      >postage please email me with a contact name and address.
                      >
                      >Blessed be.
                      >
                      >Jim.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!

                    • Now

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                          Hi again, yeah! there's so much of this woodland, very often with oak standards among it..I love this woodland! The species here is Castanea sativa, which originates futher south than the UK, and is not really known for fruiting well here, although yes some do gather the best nuts from wild trees for home use and sale...there's a growing interest in improved cultivars in the UK... ART sell their surplus of sweet chestnut at Riverford farm shop in Devon...

                          They are out of ART's chestnuts now, (try next September) but they have French or Spanish I think chestnuts (sativa), and walnuts, which will be Juglans Regia...known as 'English walnuts' in america so I believe...if you want seed stock for these at a food price. I was thinking especially the people stateside because you don't have these nuts available...it's the oppsitte away around as regards Pecans and things for me over here!

                          They do mail order.

                          As for slaving away in the woods all day in 30 degree heat or whatever as a 'paling machine'...heavy duty manula labour that you don't see many doing these days. Theres' one levithan of a guy that works this way...on his own...I presented him with a copy of...

                          Palings are fencing by the way.

                          This isn't an ettempt to get you to buy this book from this retailer...I also ordered it from the libruary, and they (Kent) bought it for me!..they've started doing this quite a lot, which is nice, because this is my intention of requesting many of the books that I do from them! This was happening in North Wales also...until we got to the crux issue. Tribal Soverignty, and these books..."We the People" by Searle Chapman, and his first book. Then the door was banged shut and locked. No communicado in real time from the library after that! (for a couple of years). This shows the possibilities, and limits to using 'the mainstream' to foocuilize, or attempt to foculisze a altenative from nation state masonworld consciouhsness and reality out there....if you 'tresspass' on the mace's manor, ( in terms of a consciousness)...then this enrgy will turn around and try and kill you and shut you out and send you skitzaphrenic....because these places are run by a hierarchy that links into the mainstream 'power' in the west. The bottom line type thing. So get Seales books 'cos they are real..but don't expect the local libruary to get them for you! (we can't have local Welsh etc people tuning into this vibe)...dangerous!

                          The local library has also just bought for me (us)...

                          The Apple Grower by Micheal Phillips (bought 2 copies also, one each for the local apple farms)

                          What Happened to Our wood by Julian Evans (ex Forestry Commision good guy)

                          Living Wood by Mike Abbot (Lots of practical ideas)

                          Also people used to live in the woods in benders...and this has to be the most incredibvle way of living in woods and outside...if only all you lot would dissapear!

                          I love the wild birds especially...the main reason why I grow and plant these edible trees and shrubs.

                          Blessings.