Composting walnut leaves?

  • Griselda
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2005
      Composting walnut leaves? Does anyone know, is it OK to make compost (leaf mould) out of walnut trees? I am not sure exactly what species of walnut is growing in my new garden but I guess it is the commonly grown kind here in England.

      I have read that walnuts can affect the plants growing round or near them, rainwater can drip off the leaves and damage smaller plants around. This seems to be substantiated on
      http://www.2020site.org/trees/walnut-tree.html

      So, will the leaves continue to poison other plants once composted?

      Thanks, Griselda