980Re: [pfaf] Re: peace garden

  • Griselda
    Nov 22, 2005
      Re: [pfaf] Re: peace garden Hallo again,
      You might also like to look at Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants, by Eliot Cowan. It is for sale on Amazon.com
      You might find a second hand copy somewhere. It is quite interesting in this area.
      Griselda

      Hi,

      I recently read that in symbolic painting, probably of the
      renaissance, Columbine (Aquilegia sp.) was used to represent certain
      aspects of peace because the flower resembles a dove in some way (I
      struggle to see it unless it should be several doves). Aquilegia
      vulgaris 'Nivea' is a nice pure white one and 'Columba' means dove
      in Greek I think.  White heather is also supposed to be very lucky
      although the list of lucky plants is endless.  Basil as suggested is
      a very good one since it has been a symbol of love across Europe for
      over 2000 years. Poplar (Populus tremula)is a tree that I would
      personally recommend since the sound of its continuously rustling
      leaves is very soothing, however, if you are superstitious it is
      best avoided since its catkins are sometimes considered a bad omen
      and referred to as 'Devils Fingers'.

      I'm currently working on a bed of plants associated with
      superstition & symbolism.  If I come across anything interesting
      I'll forward it.

      For my part, if anyone can suggest plants which have significance in
      Wales in terms of their meanings etc I would love to know. I'm
      trying to compile plants with significance to local people who dont
      often get their beliefs and knowledge into books so if theres anyone
      Welsh out there or with Welsh connections who can tell a story or
      two about the cultural significance of plants, I would love to hear
      from you.

      Also, I'm working on a bed called 'Signatures & Sympathies', this
      will hopefully be an interactive display of plants used in medicine
      according to their visible signatures or by sympathetic/imitative
      magic.  Strangely, I've hit a nearly complete blank where signature
      plants are concerned and would love to hear suggestions.  It seems
      that most internet sources dwell on the same four examples from the
      Doctrine of Signatures but I need far more than that.  I would
      prefer plants which display their signatures as they are grown eg
      Lungworts blotches look like lung disease; the tiny translucent
      holes in Hypericum (st johns wort) leaves make it useful for stab
      wounds etc.  Plants which are used according to their roots are not
      so useful because the roots cant be seen but still interesting to
      hear about.

      I look forward to any suggestions

      Thank you very much

      Blue Skies

      Kris

      > "cutoutcows" <cutoutcows@y...> wrote:
      >  Hello,
      >  I am designing a peace garden ...

      Garden home dallas <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Garden+home+dallas&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=Gfs2l9lGnzs92v57WY3QlA> Organic gardening <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=6nAdTleevpVOCvDXprpYBg> Home and garden accessory <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Home+and+garden+accessory&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=RlUUbnbj5nF7nDD7R>
      Organic gardening magazine <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+magazine&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=YXYbv93Hdlbnu1ms> Organic gardening supply <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+supply&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=0WHfufxU8GMXgoFrRl> Organic vegetable gardening <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+vegetable+gardening&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=eZA1oyXFUi4Xi-C>

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS