923Re: [pfaf] Katrina damage

  • A. A. Pasternak
    Oct 1, 2005
      Hello Dr. Mark,

      Best wishes for a speedy recovery in all ways possible from Hurricane
      Katrina.

      Before offering the traditional ground cover solutions, there is a way to
      encourage water retention on your slope and maybe do something different..

      "Armed with shovels, we learned the art of digging swales. The somewhat
      archaic word "swale" refers to the terracing of the hillsides for the
      purpose of capturing water run-off and avoiding damaging erosion. With the
      use of simple leveling tools, made from bamboo and a "plumb" line with a
      rock as a weight, it was possible to dig the swales while following the
      contours of the hillside slope. Before we ventured out to dig swales, we
      learned that the U.S. government, during the WPA projects of the 1930s, put
      in many large swales in the arid regions of the Western United States. These
      landforms may be seen today, still working correctly after nearly six
      decades."
      http://www.hopedance.org/archive/issue31/articles/newcomer.htm

      Includes image:
      "The main water harvesting swales should be initially seeded to a legume
      cover crop and cover with a thin mulch of straw to force germination with
      minimum moisture requirement. Then fast growing legume trees planted on the
      up hill side these serve the system by initial shelter from wind and by
      shade greatly reducing evaporation. These trees also fix nitrogen to the
      soil while greatly enhancing the surrounding soil structure particularly
      down slope. They also produce large amounts of nitrogen rich mulch which can
      be cut and placed as mulch around the fruit trees, this greatly reduces soil
      moisture evaporation and as decomposition takes place contribute to the
      fertilizing of the fruit trees also increasing soil organic matter,
      improving soil structure. The legume trees should be prune for mulch at the
      end of summer just prior to the autumn rains as temperatures drop and
      evaporation has decreased and the system generally benefits from increased
      light. After cutting these trees quickly re-sprout new twig growth and by
      the beginning of the next summer when temperatures rise again and
      evaporation of soil moisture is a major problem they are performing their
      function of shade and wind protection. This process can be repeated year
      after year as the system establishes, eventually after a few years the wood
      from the larger prunings can be used for firewood for cooking or heating."
      http://photos.permaculture.org.au/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-388

      More swale images:
      http://photos.permaculture.org.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=swales

      Easy Groundcovers for Mississippi Lawns
      http://msucares.com/lawn/landscape/groundcover.html
      Your slope may not be a lawn, but it needs a ground cover that grows in your
      area.

      However, you need something fast growing for this winter.

      Austrian Field Pea - Pisum sativum - [check page for other erosion control
      plants]
      http://www.bountifulgardens.org/shop/compost-crops.html

      A very cold-hardy over-wintering pea; can take some sub-zero weather. Grows
      on poorer soil than clover but makes less nitrogen. Doesn't compete well
      with abundant Winter weed growth. Fall planting prevents winter, wind and
      water erosion. Flowers later than clover, giving it an advantage since it
      goes later without developing seeds. Peas only suitable as livestock feed.
      Breaks down fast into soil.

      You can get it in bulk sizes here:

      Speckled Field Pea
      http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS11528
      Pisum sativum

      The Austrian variety is usually fall planted except in extremely cold
      climates where it is spring planted. Its viney growth habit provides
      excellent erosion control. The Speckled Field variety is spring planted as
      soon as the ground can be worked. It has an erect growth habit and is
      traditionally grown with oat. Yields 4000-5000 lb/acre dry matter and 150
      lb/acre nitrogen. Legume. Plant 80-150 lb/acre or 2-3.5 lb/1000 sq.ft.

      In the spring....

      This is one of my favourite multiple use ground cover plants:
      http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/groundcoverthymes.htm
      Carraway Thyme http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/thyherbabarona.htm
      is the best they say and is still in stock. Check the "In Stock" section.

      Here's another: http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/oreganolawn.htm

      This is a search of the MS forest commission's website for the term "erosion
      control"
      http://tinyurl.com/c8so6

      Preparing for the Storm
      http://www.mfc.state.ms.us/urban/pdf/smrcd.pdf
      Hurricane resistant landscapes

      Native Trees for Mississippi Landscapes
      http://msucares.com/lawn/landscape/native_trees.html
      at least two of these are fast growing.

      This is a search of PFAF's database for plants with the term "erosion
      control"
      http://tinyurl.com/dzcmd

      This is a search of PFAF's database for ground cover plants with the term
      "soil stabilization"
      http://tinyurl.com/8qz6k

      This is a seach of Garden Web's forums on "erosion control"
      http://tinyurl.com/cx8py

      Kind regards,

      Al

      P.S. Let me know what you did and how it turned out.:-)

      My Urban Garden projects
      http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      Items wanted and Thanks
      http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc