      Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re: [PermacultureWoodlands] WHY WE NEED WILD LAND

      In the Willamette River valley where I live, many berries grow well.  We grow native blackberries, salal, salmon berries and huckleberries, and have added raspberries, blueberries, cranberries.  We grow some lingonberries-that I think come from your region, as well as boysenberries, currants, gooseberries.
      We actually have a huge problem with non-native blackberries being invasive and causing erosion and removing diversity around water bodies-it is just one of the things affecting our loss of salmon habitat.
      But back to what grows: apples, figs, peaches, plums, cherries, some nuts, like walnuts and filberts, and much more.  Even some of the hardier citrus will grow here.  This is a very fertile area with a mild climate.  A nursery that specializes in unusual edibles nearby may help illustrate what we can grow.
      Here is the nursery's interesting website:  http://www.onegreenworld.com/
      Another similar and terrific nursery north of us in the state of Washington is  http://www.raintreenursery.com/
      Hope you find this interesting,
      Diana

      Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
      WHat kind of wild berries / fruits do you get / pick,
      oregon is from natures side very rich in species compared to Norway /
      Scandianvia...

      Geir Flatabø