842Re: [pfaf] Re: Need Advice for Laurentians (Rocky, Acidic Soil), Short Growing Season

    Jun 28, 2005
      You are right,
      the gulf effect makes warmer / milder and more rainy winthers , and
      "cooler" summers. Summer temperatures seldom above 25 C, and nearly
      never above 30C, till now this year we have had extremely bad weathers,
      with only two days of temperatures abowe 20C. Winter temperatures might
      go down to -20C, and stay with -10C for a week or more....
      Local climatic factors - as south facing slopes are necessary for the
      more warmth demanding species as Chestnuts, grapes and nectarines, but
      the pines and walnuts and hazelnuts do make it "anywhere" how named
      varieties of hazelnuts would do, I cannot say. - but some old filberts
      and cobnuts do OK.
      The pines are hardy to nearly timberline - 1000 m above sea level and
      beyond polar circle. Hazelnuts have no trouble inland, at least the
      wild types, I have also tried almonds and figs, they survive a few
      years, if protected, but I guess it would be possible to get hardier
      varieties.
      .
      Geir Flatabø