838Re: [pfaf] Re: Need Advice for Laurentians (Rocky, Acidic Soil), Short Growing Season

  • Bob Ewing
    Jun 25, 2005
      Greetings for jack pine:

      http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/forestry/g380.htm

      and from pfaf database:

      beaked hazel

      Propagation
      Seed - best sown as soon as it is harvested in autumn
      in a cold frame[164]. Germinates in late winter or
      spring. Stored seed should be pre-soaked in warm water
      for 48 hours and then given 2 weeks warm followed by 3
      - 4 months cold stratification[164]. Germinates in 1 -
      6 months at 20°c[164]. When large enough to handle,
      prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow
      them on in a cold frame or sheltered place outdoors
      for their first winter. Plant them out into their
      permanent positions in late spring or early summer[K].

      --- George Mogiljansky <mogiljan@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      Thank you, Bob. I'm just discovering permaculture
      (incl. environmental horticulture).

      I planted three chestnut seedlings in April but they
      didn't take. I'm told the soil was too cold. I also
      didn't harden them enough, I suspect.

      April is early , at least here, we plant usually, late
      May or early June.

      I will look for a local source of seedlings for beaked
      hazel and jack pine, unless they can be started from
      seed?

      George

      --- Bob Ewing <urbanpermaculture@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, i live in Thunder Bay, Ontario on the
      > edge
      > of the Boreal Forest, growing conditions appear to
      > be
      > similar to yours. We have grown, jack pine,
      > blueberries and beaked hazel (C. cornuta) in close
      > proximity and all do well. The jack pine provides
      > the
      > acidic soil that blueberries love.
      >
      > The beaked hazel thrives here and provides edible
      > nuts.
      >
      > Bob Ewing
      >
      > Permaculture is how we take control over our own
      > lives, meet our individual needs and build our
      > common future. Let Nature be your mentor.
      > www.restoretheearth.ca

      Terms of Service.

      Permaculture is how we take control over our own lives, meet our individual needs and build our common future. Let Nature be your mentor.
      www.restoretheearth.ca

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic