6297RE: [pfaf] bamboo fruit

  • phil corbett
    Jun 10, 2014
      Hi Sam - I had a Fargesia murielae that seeded, about 15 years ago. This is a relatively short and hardy bamboo, often used for civic plantings. Its seeds where like wheat grains, slightly smaller and quite numerous for a small plant. The seed proved fertile and gave rise to numerous seedlings, which were grown on and sold. The mother plant died after seeding. As it was a single isolated plant I think it must be self-fertile.

      Other examples of this species in my region did not fruit and continued to grow, showing that for this specie not all individuals fruit at the same time.

      I didn't eat any of the seed, but now I know how rare an event this is, I wish I had!.

      This was grown in Derbyshire, England, at about 300metres altitude.

      cheers,

      Phil

      http://cooltemperate.co.uk/index.shtml

      Cool Temperate Postal Address:

      Cool Temperate,
      45 Stamford Street,
      Awsworth,
      Notts
      NG16 2QL

      Tel and Fax: 0115 916 2673

      From: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 14:35:38 -0400
      Subject: [pfaf] bamboo fruit

      I just learned that bamboo plants can fruit, albeit at rare intervals, and I've read that occasionally the fruit get ripe on the plant.  Has anyone here tried ripe bamboo fruit?

      --
      Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
      Clinical Director

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic