6289mulch producing plants

  • Francesca Beamish
    Jun 9, 2014
      Hi I am looking around at plants to grow to provide mulching material to replace straw. My garden is an acre so i have space to play with, I guess I could grow straw but would prefer a perennial alternative.
      Has anyone any experience in  Miscanthus × giganteus elephant grass in a large garden environment? Is it at all invasive. If it were a problem to irradicate I don't suppose farmers would try it?
      Braken makes good mulch, would it be stupid to grow braken? Yes it is sturdy stuff but I'd want it to grow lots to make the mulching material. The local country park struggles to reduce the braken, perhaps nicely efficient to remove theirs!
      or would it be wisest to make a reed bed and grow phragmites?

      thanks for your help in this brainstorm!

      --
      Cesca Beamish

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic