6285Re: [pfaf] Tropical Database

  • Christopher McCOY
    Jun 5, 2014
      Hi Ken F.,

      May I please ask? As with the PFAF Plant Database, which was also put onto CD/DVD-ROM so that it could be made available and accessed without an internet connection, might it be possible to do the same with the Tropical Plants Database and, ideally, furthermore, to record which plants people use and have available (esp. staple food etc. plants) in each locality/region/islands. It is not easy to obtain information on who eat and uses which plants in different areas of the world - e.g. if you want to go to a particular islan or archipelago, as to what they live on and use there, and thus what you should learn to identify etc... - when one might think that such information would be amongst the most prevalent and widely-available information, were it not for other influences, shall we say...

      It is realized that this is a lot of work, and there are few people thus far to help, so please may I note that...

      ...nonetheless, if we don't ask...

      Many Thanks, and All the Best!

      Chris.

      On Wednesday, 4 June 2014, 14:11, "kenfern1@... [pfaf]" <pfaf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear Friends

      After several years of research, a beta-version of the tropical plants database is finally available on-line.

      Containing over 9,000 different species, it is still very much a work in progress with new records being added almost daily and older records still being updated.

      It can be viewed at Useful Tropical Plants

      The most obvious thing missing at present is photographs of the plants - so if anyone out there can help, then please get in touch via the email addresses on the website.

      The query functions are also very much a work in progress at the present time.

      Any feedback, both positive and negative, is welcomed.

      I hope it proves helpful

      Ken Fern

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic