6091Re: [pfaf] UK Forest Garden Cycle Tour

  • Frank Woolf
    May 14, 2013
      I don't understand why you are against a great variety in private gardens.  Without biodiversity we are screwed.

      Southern Philippines. Zone 9+ (maybe)

      On May 14, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Christopher McCOY wrote:

      Hi Darren, (warning, a lengthy/verbose email here, for those whose eyes and minds goggle and blur at more than a few sentences...(hint hint))
      Please forgive me for putting in my two-pennies worth (actually planetary more costly using this inter-NET-work and equipments etc...but...) may I please be so bold as to ask the following kindly but firmly, if I may? It is a major part of something that I am in the process of organising, but it's a case of patience verses impatience, ego versus doing the right thing, passion verses the right things to do, vested-interest versus the right thing to do, etc... When you've only got one shot at something, say, then you ought to make it count...and not 'let' all and sundry loose with it when there's such a lack of discipline, knowledge, restraint, responsibility, etc...
      Presently, the 'treatment' of the land, of gardens, of landscapes, etc...is piecemeal, each-to-their-own, each hoards their strip of land or garden or water jealously, almost locking out the neighbours and ecosystems as if they are beyond the castle walls behind which self-interest wish to hide away and play, control, manipulate, experiment etc... within that controlled zones. Across London, say, few gardens are alike, few animals can traverse the landscape with any continuity, and, like the farmed fields, it's predominantly in a patchwork-quilt mish-mash. It is not cohesive on ecosystem scales, national scales, etc... There is room for local variation, of course, but FRACTURED and FRAGMENTED life/lives is all the rage at the present, further downloaded into, for example, landscape/garden usage and designs.
      As such, gardens barely or rarely gel, in any cohesive sense. The landscape is fragmented. Landscape usage is predominantly fairly uniform, agricultural, and/or forestry, and/or park, and is relatively sterile as compared to what might otherwise be the case, and vested-interest and other machinations control that and prevent much alteration. Prejudice and conditioning resists change...often just being stubborn because those who behave so can behave so...
      Tree-planting schemes are passionately followed, by some with much effort, yet the tree species and, in some cases, the locations, are barely considered in any degree of thoroughness, cohesiveness, and are rarely edible by humans. Instead, the natural world is kept largely a desert in that respect, and humans dependent upon world-wide supply chains for food and drinks, but which is NOT WITHOUT BENEFIT (especially keeping humans from some areas, whereas edibility might encourage inappropriate/irresponsible/unskilled access - part of my plans to rectify in terms of skills and awarenesses and responsibilities!). The tree-planting persons may feel that they have done a good deed, but in practice, in many cases, they have prevented the right things being done, and, because their plantings are fairly new and personal to them, they do not wish to see that being changed, ripped-up and replaced - it's as if one change only is allowed and that's final, whether good or bad, right or inappropriate. Although only in the sense of an illustration and not to be taken literally, it's akin to envisaging that once there was, in the past, a swathe of Waitrose supermarkets across a landscape, which romantic history books speak dewey-eyed about, but which had been ripped down by changing societal plans and fashions. Romantic eyes wish to rectify that historic ancient past and replace the landscape, deemed then-unfashionable, by planting a new swathe of Tesco supermarkets. "Ah. we have replaced what was lost! Ah, we can be proud of ourselves!" is a pseudo example of the attitudes that are prevalent, tree-planting is deemed to be automatically inherently 'alright', as if by magic, and what is plants and where is barely allowed to be questioned. After much effort of so-planting and so-designing, they go home with tears in the eyes at the romance and passion of it all, romantically attached, through a glass darkly, but in practice they have pro-actively prevented what might have been a far more vibrant AND useful AND diverse AND naturally-healthy landscape throughout for as many forms of life as practicable and appropriate, and will stop anyone else from changing it again... Trees are great, usually, but planting, for example, a desert, merely keeps the humans in the cages..., or the Skylarks on the IUCN Red List...
      Similarly, it is widespread, currently, that passions rule, that allegedly-new ideas are run with as if by children with a new passion to play and experiment with. In such passion can be tunnel-vision, hoarding, secreteing, selfishness, emotions, vested-interests, etc. It is widespread, currently, that people attend a course, such as a Permaculture course say, and then 'run with it', as if, all of a sudden, they know enough to continue, and so affect the natural world, usually as if they are inherently, whatever they do, 'doing things for the better'. Yet the styles, designs, and types of plants introduced by such courses, texts, and instructors, tend to be similar and so are the designs that arise, faster than common sense can stop, so Victorian gardening and Rhododendron introductions, say, happen fashionably, passionately, not without pleasure, and in a widespread and oft-fragmented piecemeal fashion, so that later down the road The Truth, which has only just got it's boots on whilst the passionate have gone out playing and planting round the world a few times, has to pick up the pieces. Still...it's "good for business", "good for jobs", "good for the economy!" they say.
      Your bicycle ride plans, Darren, may undoubtedly help to increase awareness and interest of, for example, Forest Gardening (which is VERY important as a topic) BUT what will in pracrice happen is a melee of passions and prejudices and self-interests and hoarding and vested interests and the opening-up of yet more commercial enterprises for profit and jobs and 'ecosystem services' and turnign the natural worlkd into 'natural capital' which some of the bankers love which, yet again, rips up the natural world, changes it all around when there's already significant instability at risk, and does so in non-cohesive piecemeal ways. The nurseries and garden centres start to introduce plants (etc.) from around the world faster than you can swing a cat at them, and before you know it the children have had lots of exciting earth-connecting fun, but lost the plot OVERALL, the ecosystems are swapped-round in such fast geological time that many of the forms of life don't know what's happened and can't cope, along witheverything else...it's like an earthquake vibration its changes to the landscapes and cities built on sand, sufficient vibrations and the lot gets swallowed-up all in one go...
      Pandora's box was closed, or at least guarded, for a reason.
      So my request is, please, to ask for patience, maturity, and instead to get things 'right' and cohesive first time. That does not play to the public, nor to money, nor to goverments, nor to conditioned responses, nor to fashions, nor to brainwashed/conditioned populations already unskilled with the natural world, nor to commerce/industry, nor to popularity. I have plans in these regards, and have been writing about such for many years. But there's more going on, including behind the scenes, and many who DO NOT have the planet's and people's best interests at heart yet who are in or using positions of influence.
      Is the Dark Side Stronger? No Quicker, Easier, More Seductive...
      Please may I ask that you can be patient?
      It's relatively easy to get a smaller easier snowball rolling...and easy for it to gather moss or snow...but much harder yet more important to get a planetary snowball rolling that, when rolling, is actually right and appropriate...
      Many win the battles, the rent payments in Monopoly, but the Bankers win the wars, the Monopolies, whoever plays, however they play...and they keep the game rolling for Monopoly all the way...
      Just a thought. Best Wishes to you, and all. Forest Gardening of a certain ilk is a major aspect of the intentions that I am hopefully to aid, but there's more going on which, amongst other things, risks in-effect handing-over control of such as 'Forest Gardening' to those who care not for it, and/or who will use/stop it inappropriately.