      From: pfaf@yahoogroups.com [mailto:pfaf@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of sam_schaperow
      Sent: 14 March 2013 02:42
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [pfaf] Edible Landscaping

      I met someone through Yahoo foraging groups who kindly sent me some plants in exchange for some mushroom spores. Unfortunately the plants came as dormant cuttings. Some I placed in damp soil in pots in my garage, and others I put into lightly moistened vermiculite in a glass jar in my house at room temperature. Every week or so I've pulled out the sticks from the jar to see if roots came in yet. Last week one did have a thick root sticking out. I put it back in, and it snapped off.

      Should I just leave it there until roots grow & hit the glass (so as to not pull it out from time to time)? Or should I check on it as I did, assuming they won't break coming out, but then dig a hole to put it back in to not harm the root going back in, and then fill the hole in w/the vermiculite? When do I transfer it to soil?

      Also, I've looked into rooting hormone, but so far what I've read doesn't show it to do a lot (a modest increase in rooting at best). Any suggestions on that topic?

      Thank you.

      Sam Schaperow, B.S., M.S.