5823Re: [pfaf] Re: Permaflorae : New offline and portable way of consulting PFAF

  • Nicollas
    Nov 12 8:40 AM
      Thanks for your feedback,

      so i suppose you installed it and it worked, good for me :)

      2011/11/12 Rich <rich@...>

      A nice piece of work which nicely solves the problem of using the database when you don't have the internet. Quite a number people have attempted something similar in the past and few have succeeded. So hats off to you.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Nicollas <permactiviste@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > i just finished my work on a new way of browsing the PFAF database, here
      > are some major features :
      > * Offline : you can browse PFAF database even when WWW is not available (do
      > not fear the collapse of civilization anymore !)
      > * Portable : no installation, you can copy-paste it in one of your
      > directories, a USB key, burn it on a CD and use it on other computers
      > * Powerful : more search option than on PFAF website (you can query all
      > fields in one time)
      > * User friendly : a bunch of visual features (like automatic update of
      > results when you change something in the search form) to ease the search of
      > the plants you need
      > * And a lot more : exportation of results to PDF and BBCode, results sorted
      > visually by fruit ripening date, filter the result from a list of plant
      > (e.g. copy-pasted from a online catalog of plants ...), conversion to
      > imperial metrics ...
      > Here is the website, for screenshots, features and download link :
      > http://www.permaculture.eu.org/permaflorae/
      > Note that it is an alpha version, so it might not work on your
      > configuration (it only works on windows, and only be tested on windows XP)
      > and have a lots of bugs, but with time and help from the community, the
      > software will be even better than today !
      > Please note that this work is the result of hundreds of hours of
      > development. After developing it for myself, to counter limitations of PFAF
      > website, i decided to update it heavily in order to bring the good of PFAF
      > to everyone. In first place i hoped to fundraise it, to let the community
      > free the code, but communication with PFAF staff has been slow and
      > difficult, and has i will be dad in a few weeks, i'm finally releasing the
      > software and code for free and under the same creative common licence as
      > the database, so i hope to receive a few bucks from donations of satisfied
      > users, thanks for your comprehension !
      > Nicolas

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic