5771Re: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

  • Michael Bell
    Sep 27, 2011
      In message <CAM1dQ5mjJmYGJtvFFzU4JhnFm6WDX3NhSOaNA4HyjxLWERa60w@mail.g
      mail.com>
      inverse <inverse@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Michael Bell
      > <michael@...>wrote:

      >> **
      >>

      >> I have a project to develop alder (Alnus glutinosa) as a grain crop.
      >> My reasons for this are:-
      >>
      >> Britain cannot feed itself because half its land is too high and cold
      >> for grain production. This is not because this land is infertile, the
      >> tree-line is much higher than the crop line. It is because the main
      >> grain crops originated in the Mediterranean and they are at the limit
      >>
      > Hi Michael,

      > I find your project fascinating. I wish you success!

      Thank you!

      >> * It is a tree; it can be more productive than a herb crop.
      >>

      > * It fixes nitrogen. Nitrate fertilisers are expensive and a big
      >> source of CO2 production.
      >> * It is a tree, once established it is insensitive to weather
      >> variations.
      >> * It is a tree, it does not need weeding and chemical weedkilling.
      >>

      >> I've got to agree with you. My problem is growing food without the aid of
      > chemistry and fossil fuels (most nitrogen-based fertilisers require methane
      > for their synthesis), chestnuts grow fine at my premises but are being hit
      > by dryocosmus kuriphilus.
      > I still don't know if my particular trees are resistant enough to survive
      > the infestation, this year they did fine and produced a lot but I can't
      > trust them too much. I've already noticed two smaller dead branches.
      > Therefore I'm looking forward to growing annual and perennial herbaceous
      > plants too.

      My methods sift through very large numbers. That's important for
      breeding purposes.

      > One question, does chenopodium album grow fine on the highlands too?
      > I've found it in the Alps up to 1200-1500m.

      > Regards,
      > Inverse

      Chenopodium album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_album does
      grow on ploughed land at 180 M in the Cheviot hills (the hills which
      form the border between England and Scotland) but I've never seen it
      higher, but that is probably because land any higher is not usually
      ploughed and the ground is normally thickly covered by grass and
      heather. But now you have put the point to me, I do know of farms at
      320 M, so next time I go past I will have a look. Britain is not a
      country of mountains, rather it has a lot of hills.

      Regards

      Michael Bell