5770Re: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

  • inverse
    Sep 27, 2011
      On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Michael Bell <michael@...> wrote:

      I have a project to develop alder (Alnus glutinosa) as a grain crop.
      My reasons for this are:-

      Britain cannot feed itself because half its land is too high and cold
      for grain production. This is not because this land is infertile, the
      tree-line is much higher than the crop line. It is because the main
      grain crops originated in the Mediterranean and they are at the limit

      Hi Michael,

      I find your project fascinating. I wish you success!

      * It is a tree; it can be more productive than a herb crop.

      * It fixes nitrogen. Nitrate fertilisers are expensive and a big
      source of CO2 production.
      * It is a tree, once established it is insensitive to weather
      * It is a tree, it does not need weeding and chemical weedkilling.

      I've got to agree with you. My problem is growing food without the aid of chemistry and fossil fuels (most nitrogen-based fertilisers require methane for their synthesis), chestnuts grow fine at my premises but are being hit by dryocosmus kuriphilus.
      I still don't know if my particular trees are resistant enough to survive the infestation, this year they did fine and produced a lot but I can't trust them too much. I've already noticed two smaller dead branches.
      Therefore I'm looking forward to growing annual and perennial herbaceous plants too.

      One question, does chenopodium album grow fine on the highlands too?
      I've found it in the Alps up to 1200-1500m.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic