5743Re: [pfaf] fig trees

  • mIEKAL aND
    Aug 1, 2011
      I'm about 5 hours north of Chicago.  I grow about a 100 (about 35 varieties) fig trees in a portable orchard.  I let the whole thing go dormant outside in the fall but before the real cold sets in all the containers are packed away in a cool basement.  Been doing it for more than 20 years...  A few people are having success with in ground figs this north by planting them on top of their septic tanks which tend not to freeze in the winter.

      ~mIEKAL

      On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM, <BrendasOrganics@...> wrote:
      I had a friend growing up whose grandfather grew figs in Chicago. He grew them in the summer and then, when the cold weather began to come in, he would dig up the trees and bury them for the winter. When spring came, he would dig them up and replant them. He did this every year and had fresh figs in Chicago! (A lot of work, but if you've ever had fresh figs off of a tree...you know it is worth it!
      Brenda
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic