      From: jayaraman raamachandran <raamachandranj@...>
      To: pfaf <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: herb_chandran <herb_chandran@...>
      Sent: Wed, Jul 20, 2011 6:03 pm
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] fig trees

      1323, Valley Vista Drive
      Irving TX75063

      From: Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, July 17, 2011 1:39:58 AM

      Thanks, Dennis. I do more research. Again, thank you.

      Date: 7/16/2011 1:51:52 AM
      A good idea
      good to know,
      special care / protection till it is > 2,5 cm Diam main stem.
      Still I would believe there could be extra hardy varieties .....

      2011/7/15 dennis@... <dennis@...>
      Even here in North Carolina, where winters are mild, we had to protect the fig trees when they were young... about 3 years old or more.  Afterward, they take the winter very well and we need not do anything.  In this 4th year we now get thousands of figs from our three trees.  And they keep getting bigger and bigger every year.  The fig tree is a marvelous plant, well worth the little effort it takes to make them grow.  They need more lime than other trees.  But protect it, you must.  If you do not wrap them in the winter and/or do not cover them with some impermeable cloth, the rain will find its way through the hay and freeze the limbs and it will die.
      We put a wire fence around them and fill it tight with hay.  Then a cloth or plastic over each of them, tied with ropes to the floor to prevent rain and it will keep your fig tree alive for the next year.  Do not remove until there is no more danger of frost.
      Date: 7/15/2011 1:49:52 PM
      Subject: [pfaf] fig trees
      Any one have links or seeds available for "extra hardy"  figs ?

      I have ( had) - tried
      "brown turkey",  King and Galbon
      got to kjnow these should be hardy figs that are grown in alpine condidions in France..
      but they are not sufficiently hardy to stand a Norwegian winter- above ground.
      I got holod of Afgan figs, that should be even hardier,
      but they died befor beeing able to show how hardy they should be...

      Any help out there ???

      Geir Flatabø

      2011/7/15 mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@...>
      No one on my other lists have offered a satisfactory ID of these but I
      know you guys won't let me down. Lotsa pictures on the page include a
      good one of the leaves.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional