5741Re: [pfaf] Sedum Acre

  • Allmende Verden
    Aug 1, 2011
      I´ve already tasted s.acre and besides it´s so hot that it hurts my
      mouth I´m not sure wether it also hurts the stomach.
      But s.rupestre you can eat in quantities without a problem. It´s very
      vital on our sandy soil, a successful groundcover and perfectly
      wintergreen in zone 7. Raw it tastes strong an interesting, decently
      astringend, cooked it´s very mild.
      greetings from Steph

      Zitat von Matthew Sleigh <matthew@...>:

      > It seems that Crassulaceae with yellow flowers are known for this.
      >
      > There are references for a similar statement regarding Sedum reflexum:
      >
      > Elias. T. and Dykeman. P. A Field Guide to N. American Edible Wild Plants.
      > Very readable.
      >
      > Harrington. H. D. Edible Native Plants of the Rocky Mountains.
      > A superb book. Very readable, it gives the results of the authors
      > experiments with native edible plants.
      >
      > I have not checked the sources :)
      >
      > All the best,
      > Matthew
      >
      > Matthew Sleigh
      > P-2, North Poblacion
      > Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      > 8712
      > Philippines
      >
      > matthew@...
      > http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
      > fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39
      >

      > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Nina <lepinsky2000@...> wrote:
      >> Hi Everyone,
      >>
      >> I've been using the PFAF database for a long time, but have only
      >> just joined the forum.  I wonder if anyone can answer a question
      >> for me about the PFAF entry for Sedum Acre:
      >>  http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Sedum+acre
      >>
      >> The entry contains this sentence:
      >> "The flowers are yellow which suggests that in quantity the leaves
      >> can cause stomach upsets."
      >> Usually when a statement like this is made there is a reference to
      >> a footnote giving details of the source of the statement.  I had
      >> known about the piperidine alkaloid in Sedum Acre that makes it
      >> unplalatable and could cause stomach problems or skin reactions,
      >> but Sedum is a large genus, with many species having yellow
      >> flowers.  And to say that yellow flowers indicate possible stomach
      >> upsets is new to me and I wonder where this came from.
      >>
      >> Many thanks,
      >> Nina

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      http://www.allmende.de.vu