      From: AmitB
      Date: 7/19/2011 3:08:27 PM
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: fig trees

      Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

      Amit

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

      > Interesting,
      > but he does not send outside Canada !?
      > Geir
      >
      > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
      >

      > >    Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy
      > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
      > >

      > > Dennis

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional