5549Re: Plant based diets Was "definition of "farm"

  • Tom Gibson
    May 1, 2011
      John-Seems like I have to make this point again. Intense industrialized
      farming should not be in our future and it is NOT necessary to feed the
      world. I guess it's true that if you repeat the same lie over and again
      enough times people will start to believe it. Your belief is a lie.
      There are millions of acres of grassland that co-evolved with vast herds
      of animals that were slaughtered to deprive native Americans of their
      main food source. Grasslands are improved by "mob grazing" (look it up).
      Books and many articles in magazines by sustainable farmers have been
      written on the topic. Google "Joel Salatin", one of the stars or "Food,
      Inc." (the movie against industrialized food production). Yes we can
      feed the world, and no-we don't have to discriminate against plants,
      that are just people too that speak a different language than we do.
      Veganism and vegetarianism are TOTALLY dependent on industrialized
      agricultural systems to survive and I would NEVER deprive a child of
      essential nutrition based on a feeling that it is the right thing to do.

      Having said that I also don't participate in any way in the
      industrialized food system. I buy all my meat from pasture raised
      animals directly from a farmer or grow them myself. I only go to stores
      like Whole Foods when I want to buy junk snacks like organic corn chips
      to eat with our home made chili. Sometimes in the middle of winter we
      will purchase some organic greens wherever they are freshest and most
      nutritious looking, but we are working on that. So, yeah, if you buy all
      of your food in a store then you have some very hard choices to make.
      General rule #1, if it has a label, don't buy it. General rule #2, if it
      has a label with a list of ingredients DON'T BUY IT.

      Tom
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, john willis <wilf1946@...> wrote:

      > BUT - world demand for meat can only be met by intensive,
      industrialised farming and the damage done by that is
      unsustainable................so, if we cannot live without it and
      producing it cannot be sustained where do we go from here.
      > John.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic