      From: john willis <wilf1946@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, April 30, 2011 11:17:56 AM
      Subject: RE: [pfaf] Re: Plant based diets Was "definition of "farm"

      BUT - world demand for meat can only be met by intensive, industrialised farming and the damage done by that is unsustainable................so, if we cannot live without it and producing it cannot be sustained where do we go from here.

      John.

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: camaspermaculture@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:36:05 +0000

      Annie, to be polite let me just say that I completely disagree with your "facts" and I will simply ask you to tell me which traditional cultures-ones that aren't dependent on mechanized industrialized agriculture and processing-have eliminated meat from their diet. In Japan, where many of the products you mentioned originate, they do NOT eat these foods in the way you mention. They are a very small part of the diet, more of a flavoring than a substantial part of any meal. BTW, even if all the soy produced in this country wasn't GMO, I wouldn't touch the stuff because it is very difficult even with long fermentation to remove all of the anti-nutrients and hormones from it. The only animals that do well with soy are poultry after the soy is roasted.
      It isn't just vitamins and amino acids. The fats contained only in meats also contain essential nutrition that support the hormone and immune system. Naturally raised meats and fat are necessary parts of a healthy diet. The list of why your regurgitation of what the industrialized food processing world would like us to believe about our food is wrong is too long to post. Your facts have no more scientific basis than Buddhism, although, I can see that your faith in soy beans is deep and heart felt. I suggest picking up Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" in which she deals with this subject in depth in the Introduction. You can also dig out the information http://www.westonaprice.org.
      Tom
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Annie Sampson" <annie@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I am a nutritionist.................