      From: "Infowolf1@..." <Infowolf1@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, March 11, 2011 4:22:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] re: fennel seeds and estragole

      I agree, there is proliferation mindlessly of stuff that is good or
      harmless for some but dangerous for others.

      And the pharma companies are demonizing herbs to gain money
      and monopoly power, if not as an individual company more like
      as a class of companies.

      But as for informed decisions and protecting us against ourselves,
      most people don't have the time or inclination to get informed
      enough to make good decisions, and yes, we DO need protecting
      from ourselves.

      But not from money grubbing people committed by economic
      interest and habit of thought and acceptance as gospel the
      standard science and testing routines.

      You can never underestimate the stupidity, ignorance, and
      bad taste of the American public.

      But the solution for this would be free required reading (govt.
      production would be the easiest) of information on herbs
      and dosing and uses and contraindications compiled from
      scientific and old time information sources.

      Knowledge you may take for granted among your family
      and friends, and common sense, may be exotic to the
      vast majority.

      If you grew up in a context that preserves great great
      grandma's cures down the family generations, well and
      good.

      but most did not.

      Peace in Christ, and sorry if I offended anyone,

      Mary Christine

      In a message dated 3/11/2011 12:05:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, bekki@... writes:
      I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
      which for years have been promoted as a health food. There are lots of
      things out there that can kill us! if improperly used (like chain saws,
      cars, and on and on...) It's about being responsible for ourselves.

      What I find frustrating and frightening is that herbs-- which when used
      properly have been healing humans for thousands of years--have been
      demonized by pharmaceutical companies, who stand to make a lot of money
      from prescription drugs, which, as you have said, can have many and
      dangerous side effects. Again, it' about being responsible for
      ourselves. Educating ourselves. Educating each other.

      A lot of regulating is done in the name of protecting us against
      ourselves, as if we can't make informed choices.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic