5309Re: [pfaf] re: fennel seeds and estragole

  • Griselda Mussett
    Mar 11, 2011
      I like this discussion. The international legal-capitalist framework dictates that investors and corporates can only make profits on patented (ie synthetic) substances. (Isolated or multivitamins are an example of this - worth millions and millions of dollars worldwide). Natural compounds not only offer the corporates no money but represent a real threat to their profits. So food and herbs are regarded by the pharmaceutical sector as 'bad' and as we know have been subject to extensive and global lobbying damage- the list of their targets is colossal and makes absolutely no sense from an ordinary person's point of view.
      The traditional understanding of food as the source of our health is under vicious attack - food is now seen as a means of making profit, or more recently as a matter of security! Well, yes, but how far will this go? For hundreds or thousands of years it was a matter of growing your food and medicine in your garden or local farm, then in the 20th c the criminal law came into it (when the EU banned traditional varieties of food plants) and maybe now it's edging towards barbed wire and searchlights. Agh, I'm sorry I went there.
      At some point people need to question how all this has come about and fight for our 'common' or 'garden' herbs, fruits, vegetables, berries, etc. One practical way to start to get back to sanity would be to demand that supermarkets display the date on which any given product was picked. Also asking them to explain exactly what they mean by the word 'organic' on their labelling.
      The wisdom, knowledge and expertise in groups like this will need to be spread - ie unpicking this confusing area re: natural/safe for instance.
      It's a huge task to educate people but this group offers hope.
      Thanks
      Griselda

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 11 Mar 2011, at 01:40, Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT <bekki@...> wrote:

      Steve, I thank you for clarifying this-- I really have no wish to get
      into a debate. But I feel compelled to respond. You are correct, I am
      not saying all herbs are completely safe, or that there might not be
      people who might have reactions even to herbs that are generally very safe.

      I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
      which for years have been promoted as a health lots of
      things out there that can kill us! if improperly used (like chain saws,
      cars, and on and on...) It's about being responsible for ourselves.

      What I find frustrating and frightening is that herbs-- which when used
      properly have been healing humans for thousands of years--have been
      demonized by pharmaceutical companies, who stand to make a lot of money
      from prescription drugs, which, as you have said, can have many and
      dangerous side effects. Again, it' about being responsible for
      ourselves. Educating ourselves. Educating each other.

      A lot of regulating is done in the name of protecting us against
      ourselves, as if we can't make informed choices. Perhaps if we were
      allowed to do that, the human race would evolve into an intelligent
      species again.

      Bekki

      Steve wrote:
      Mary Christine,
      I have no argument with what you said based on your experience, but I
      feel that perhaps you read more into Bekki's statement than she meant
      to convey. She didn't actually say that she thought no herbs could
      cause harm, only that "the powers that be wish to frighten us
      regarding the safety of herbs." I believe that the two points can be
      made independantly of each other.
      Perhaps the best thing is to ask Bekki to clarify what she meant by it.
      As far as the powerful actions of herbs is concerned I am fully on the
      same page as you; herbs work, and we must treat them with the respect
      deserved by any potent energy in nature.
      It should be clear to any thinking person that no governing body can
      rightfully regulate responsible individual use of nature's gifts. I
      believe that even standardisation can be a step in the wrong
      direction. If someone processes an herb and doesn't extract the active
      constituents, it won't work; nobody will go to that person for
      medicine and they will be forced to reevaluate their knowledge base.
      Good medicine is immediately apparent to the sufferer, because they
      find relief. So remedial/therapeutic medicinal quality is
      self-correcting.
      The regulation I believe we are referring to later in the conversation
      thread is Codex Alimentarius, which, as I understand it is to be a
      sort of "white list" of allowed plants, materials and constituents;
      this will, by its nature, criminalize all unlisted items. This cannot
      be allowed to carry on, since it is based on human ego and an
      artificial sense of the holistic balance of nature.
      I fully support any and all non-violent action against this (or any
      other) constrictive regulation of nature-based medicine.
      Peace,
      Steve.

      --

        /"All that is gold does not glitter,/
        /Not all those who wander are lost;/

        /From the ashes a fire shall be woken,/
        /A light from the shadows shall spring;/
        /Renewed shall be blade that was broken,/
        /The crownless again shall be king."/

      ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

      <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional