5304Re: [pfaf] re: fennel seeds and estragole

  • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
    Mar 10, 2011
      Steve, I thank you for clarifying this-- I really have no wish to get
      into a debate. But I feel compelled to respond. You are correct, I am
      not saying all herbs are completely safe, or that there might not be
      people who might have reactions even to herbs that are generally very safe.

      I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
      which for years have been promoted as a health food. There are lots of
      things out there that can kill us! if improperly used (like chain saws,
      cars, and on and on...) It's about being responsible for ourselves.

      What I find frustrating and frightening is that herbs-- which when used
      properly have been healing humans for thousands of years--have been
      demonized by pharmaceutical companies, who stand to make a lot of money
      from prescription drugs, which, as you have said, can have many and
      dangerous side effects. Again, it' about being responsible for
      ourselves. Educating ourselves. Educating each other.

      A lot of regulating is done in the name of protecting us against
      ourselves, as if we can't make informed choices. Perhaps if we were
      allowed to do that, the human race would evolve into an intelligent
      species again.

      Bekki

      Steve wrote:
      > Mary Christine,
      > I have no argument with what you said based on your experience, but I
      > feel that perhaps you read more into Bekki's statement than she meant
      > to convey. She didn't actually say that she thought no herbs could
      > cause harm, only that "the powers that be wish to frighten us
      > regarding the safety of herbs." I believe that the two points can be
      > made independantly of each other.
      > Perhaps the best thing is to ask Bekki to clarify what she meant by it.
      > As far as the powerful actions of herbs is concerned I am fully on the
      > same page as you; herbs work, and we must treat them with the respect
      > deserved by any potent energy in nature.
      > It should be clear to any thinking person that no governing body can
      > rightfully regulate responsible individual use of nature's gifts. I
      > believe that even standardisation can be a step in the wrong
      > direction. If someone processes an herb and doesn't extract the active
      > constituents, it won't work; nobody will go to that person for
      > medicine and they will be forced to reevaluate their knowledge base.
      > Good medicine is immediately apparent to the sufferer, because they
      > find relief. So remedial/therapeutic medicinal quality is
      > self-correcting.
      > The regulation I believe we are referring to later in the conversation
      > thread is Codex Alimentarius, which, as I understand it is to be a
      > sort of "white list" of allowed plants, materials and constituents;
      > this will, by its nature, criminalize all unlisted items. This cannot
      > be allowed to carry on, since it is based on human ego and an
      > artificial sense of the holistic balance of nature.
      > I fully support any and all non-violent action against this (or any
      > other) constrictive regulation of nature-based medicine.
      > Peace,
      > Steve.
      >
      > --
      >
      > /"All that is gold does not glitter,/
      > /Not all those who wander are lost;/
      > /The old that is strong does not wither,/
      > /Deep roots are not reached by the frost./
      >
      > /From the ashes a fire shall be woken,/
      > /A light from the shadows shall spring;/
      > /Renewed shall be blade that was broken,/
      > /The crownless again shall be king."/
      >
      > ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic