5282re: fennel seeds and estragole

  • Steve
    Mar 7, 2011
      Mary Christine,

      I have no argument with what you said based on your experience, but I feel that perhaps you read more into Bekki's statement than she meant to convey.  She didn't actually say that she thought no herbs could cause harm, only that "the powers that be wish to frighten us regarding the safety of herbs."  I believe that the two points can be made independantly of each other.
      Perhaps the best thing is to ask Bekki to clarify what she meant by it.

      As far as the powerful actions of herbs is concerned I am fully on the same page as you; herbs work, and we must treat them with the respect deserved by any potent energy in nature.

      It should be clear to any thinking person that no governing body can rightfully regulate responsible individual use of nature's gifts. I believe that even standardisation can be a step in the wrong direction.  If someone processes an herb and doesn't extract the active constituents, it won't work; nobody will go to that person for medicine and they will be forced to reevaluate their knowledge base.  Good medicine is immediately apparent to the sufferer, because they find relief.  So remedial/therapeutic medicinal quality is self-correcting.

      The regulation I believe we are referring to later in the conversation thread is Codex Alimentarius, which, as I understand it is to be a sort of "white list" of allowed plants, materials and constituents; this will, by its nature, criminalize all unlisted items.  This cannot be allowed to carry on, since it is based on human ego and an artificial sense of the holistic balance of nature.

      I fully support any and all non-violent action against this (or any other) constrictive regulation of nature-based medicine.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "All that is gold does not glitter,