5259Re: [pfaf] fennel seeds and estragole

  • Matthew Sleigh
    Mar 2, 2011
      Estragole is a lager component of tarragon (especially) and basil
      essential oils than it is of fennel. The carcinogenic risks from
      Estragole in fennel are probably close to those from orange juice and
      tomatoes.

      Fennel should not be used excessively, especially by breastfeeding
      mothers and small children, but the risks are said to diminish
      exponentially with the dose.

      Even at the doses at which fennel is used medicinally, Estragole
      levels are, at most, 100th of those at which there might be a
      significant cancer risk.

      As with all medicines, do not use unnecessarily, or over-dose.

      All the best,
      Matthew

      On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Annalisa Balestrino
      <giulisann@...> wrote:

      > Dear All,
      > I was advised not to use fennel seed tea for my daughter who is 2 years old.
      > I pass this piece of info to you, especially to breastfeeding mothers and mothers of children less than 4 years old in case they are not aware of the negative effects of fennel,
      > the information is published in Italian on the Italian website: http://www.inran.it/%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0 Inran stands for Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione, National Research Institute for food and nutrition, it is a public research body under the surveillance of the Ministry for agriculture, food and forest policies:
      >
      > fennel seeds contain a substance called estragole which is carcinogenic, it should not be given to children under 4 years old. Here in Italy the fennel seed tea has been used for AGES to calm stomach gases in infants and newborns.
      >
      > Annalisa

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic