5253Re: [pfaf] Re: overwintering tomatoes in greenhouse

  • Matthew Sleigh
    Mar 1, 2011
      Some of the tastiest tomatoes I have grown were on plants that were
      surviving over winter in a greenhouse - I was not purposefully trying
      to overwinter them, they just stayed alive and kept producing. hmm . .
      . probably they were riper than the tomatoes I pick in season, in
      season I harvest every day, out of season I may not have visited the
      greenhouse every week.

      All the best,
      Matt

      On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:15 AM, jonathantellerelsberg
      <jelsberg@...> wrote:
      > I don't have any particular opinion about overwintering tomatoes, but I would like to point out that tomatoes are in fact short lived perennials in their native tropical zones (so says Eric Toensmeier in "Perennial Vegetables," as does Wikipedia, for what that's worth, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato), so overwintering them wouldn't be an extreme defiance of Nature.
      >
      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I advise against trying to keep tomato plants alive in a greenhouse over the winter, after they have given their all during the normal growing season. Tomatoes are naturally annuals, and torturing them by extending their normal live span is just asking for bugs and diseases.
      >>
      >> If they produced well, and you preserved them properly for storage, in cans, the freezer, or dehydrating, you should have all the tomatoes you need for winter pizzas and pasta, without wasting energy (electricity, heat, and labour) on trying to defy Nature.
      >>
      >> Eat winter veggies in the winter, eat summer veggies in summer, eat smart!
      >>
      >> ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, Texas zone 8-9
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic