      Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:38 AM
      Subject: RE: [pfaf] fodder plants

      Root crops such as mangles, sugar beets, turnips etc. might be worth a look. Those were often used as winter fodder as they keep well.

      Johanna

      From: nova wright <hevnsent@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 11:47 AM

      I found this interesting article on the gliricidia as feed stuff for sheep

      nova

      De: Peter knop <peterknop@...>
      Asunto: Re: [pfaf] fodder plants
      Para: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      CC: peterknop@...
      Fecha: domingo, 6 de febrero, 2011 21:24

      One of the best fodder plants for ruminants as well as pretty much all other vegetative consumers from a nutrient point of view, esp. protein, is bamboo.  Makes excellent understory in a forest and is evergreen, so with proper management is a 12 month of the year source of feed. We use it for goats, cows, horses, sheep. They prefer it to any other grass we grow, and no issues with colic or similar.