5134Re: Green manure/mulch

  • Jonathan Teller-Elsberg
    Jan 30, 2011
      If you want something for a single year only, I recommend buckwheat. It is famed for growing fast and producing great volumes of biomass. Its fast growth also helps to suppress weeds. It grows fast enough that, often, you can grow more than one successive crops in a single season, which would give you double or triple the biomass to till into the soil. It doesn't fix nitrogen, so you might want to add an N-fixer to the mix; but neither (to my knowledge) is it a heavy feeder, so even without an N-fixer alongside it, it shouldn't deplete the soil's fertility, certainly not from a single season's use. And if you like, you could potentially harvest a crop of the buckwheat groats in the process.

      Cheers!
      Jonathan

      --
      "We have changed the world, and we wonder why things won't stay the same." -Les Lanyon
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic