5133Re: Green manure/mulch - buckwheat

  • travelerinthyme
    Jan 30, 2011
      Here in Texas, where it's too hot for clover or comfrey, we grow buckwheat for summer ground cover. It's an annual, but reseeds freely, and adds lots of phosphorous to our black gumbo/limestone alkaline soils.

      In the winter, there is a low groundcover that I think is dead nettle, very soft and cushy to walk on, I call it "mulch weed", that dies out in late spring leaving nice, brown, springy mulch on the ground, and it looks so pretty growing all over the garden and back yard, spilling over the rock walls and covering the pathways.

      ~Traveler in Thyme, zone 8-9
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic