5128Re: Green manure/mulch

  • robinjw13
    Jan 28, 2011
      Hi Ludwig,

      White clover is low to establish and will not grow enough in one season for your needs. Vetch is good but has to be sown in autumn. I suggest crimson clover and/or phacelia. Both will grow rapidly during the summer and phacelia in particular even after flowering will give a lot of biomass that will lie on the soil (suppressing weeds) right through autumn and in to winter. Sow from April to the end of May.

      Robin

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Ludwig <the_pooh_way@...> wrote:

      > /Thank you everyone for your splendid suggestions.
      >
      > /Comfrey is indeed my favorite mulching and companion plant. It grows so
      > well with trees. I use /Symphytum x uplandicum/, Russian Comfrey,
      > bocking 14. Like Frank pointed out, it is an infertile hybrid. It is
      > easily divided and propagated. But it won't turn up where you don't want it.
      >
      > I am looking for something else than comfrey, cause were I want to sow
      > these green manures this year, I want to grow vegetables next year.
      >

      > Seems white clover, yarrow, borage, oats and alfalfa are recommended by
      > Matthew Lynch. I might add Bird's foot trefoil (lotus corniculatus) or
      > white mustard (sinapsis alba) or meadow fescue (festuca pratensis) to
      > the mix. I like diversity :-)
      >
      > Steve, you said:
      > For pasture or other broadacre design, a winter wheat/vetch/rye mixture
      > may be appropriate.
      >
      > Is that a recommended mixture to sow next autumn, or can I still sow
      > that this spring? What would you recommend to sow this spring?
      >
      > I'd love a recipe for comfrey salves Bekki!
      >
      > Thank you everyone!
      >
      > Ludwig

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic