5124Re: [pfaf] Re: Green manure/mulch

  • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
    Jan 28, 2011
      I am an herbalist-- I have some great recipes for comfrey salves for
      several purposes! happy to post here, or send me your email... Frank,
      where do you live? there are a few other herbal ingredients in those
      salves, don't know if they grow where you are. Cheers, Bekki

      fran k wrote:

      > Hi Becky. Yes it is invasive. I quite like that because I can dig it
      > up and put it by the fruit trees (which is another project to do this
      > year), where apparently the pottasium in the dead leaves or cut leaves
      > feeds the tree for development of the flowers and the fruit. It will
      > be interesting to see if it improves the fruit.
      >
      > Weve got two types one is the spreading type, and other is called
      > bocking 14 and it doesnt spread, and if you want to propagate that you
      > dig it up and split the root like rhubarb. I didnt buy any of it, I
      > pinched a few, and have split them since. I like the idea of them
      > being a herb too. I had heard that but forgotten. It could have been
      > very useful recently for a bad cut through the bone on my finger which
      > is still recovering. :) frank
      >
      > On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:20 GMT Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT wrote:
      >
      > >Hi All,
      > >
      > >I love comfrey and grow it in several places in my yard and gardens--- I
      > >find it very useful for improving soil (one area with a lot of clay for
      > >instance) and holding banks (we have a stream that runs through our
      > >property).
      > >
      > >That said, no one has addressed its tendency to be invasive and spread
      > >aggressively. I am careful to put it where it won't be a nuisance...
      > >
      > >I haven't tried cover crops, our vegetable garden is small and all
      > >raised beds so I assumed that cover croppng wouldn't be practical; so we
      > >mulch heavily with fallen leaves in autumn and amend with horse manure
      > >from neighbors. We use the same protocol for our extensive herb beds.
      > >(we don't really have much lawn). When we kept goats that was the best--
      > >we composted the old bedding and manure and dug it in.
      > >
      > >We live in rural sutheast Ohio...
      > >
      > >Bekki

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic