5123Re: [pfaf] Re: Green manure/mulch

  • fran k
    Jan 28, 2011
      Hi Becky. Yes it is invasive. I quite like that because I can dig it up and put it by the fruit trees (which is another project to do this year), where apparently the pottasium in the dead leaves or cut leaves feeds the tree for development of the flowers and the fruit. It will be interesting to see if it improves the fruit.

      Weve got two types one is the spreading type, and other is called bocking 14 and it doesnt spread, and if you want to propagate that you dig it up and split the root like rhubarb. I didnt buy any of it, I pinched a few, and have split them since. I like the idea of them being a herb too. I had heard that but forgotten. It could have been very useful recently for a bad cut through the bone on my finger which is still recovering. :) frank

      On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:20 GMT Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >I love comfrey and grow it in several places in my yard and gardens--- I
      >find it very useful for improving soil (one area with a lot of clay for
      >instance) and holding banks (we have a stream that runs through our
      >property).
      >
      >That said, no one has addressed its tendency to be invasive and spread
      >aggressively. I am careful to put it where it won't be a nuisance...
      >
      >I haven't tried cover crops, our vegetable garden is small and all
      >raised beds so I assumed that cover croppng wouldn't be practical; so we
      >mulch heavily with fallen leaves in autumn and amend with horse manure
      >from neighbors. We use the same protocol for our extensive herb beds.
      >(we don't really have much lawn). When we kept goats that was the best--
      >we composted the old bedding and manure and dug it in.
      >
      >We live in rural sutheast Ohio...
      >
      >Bekki
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic