      Thank you for your reply.

      Indeed a comfrey patch is a must. I am planting them underneath fruit trees and hedges. I'm more looking for plants to sow, that I can harvest and them mulch over to make new beds next year. The comfrey will be a permanent presence.

      There are so many green manures out there, which one will give the most biomass and nutrients?

      On 27/01/2011 16:53, fran k wrote:

      Hi,  Well Im definitely considering a very large patch of comfrey.   Being perrenial, and its easy to cut, with a scythe.  Its up to about chest height within about 4 to 6 weeks of sprouting, every year, and it buzzes with bees and all the other insects, and even leaving it for them like that for a while, I get about 3 crops every year.  Done deal!  How it conditions and aerates the soil it grows in is another thing too!.  It takes a while to establish a patch though.

      Best wishes,  Frank.

      --- On Thu, 27/1/11, Ludwig <the_pooh_way@...> wrote:

      From: Ludwig <the_pooh_way@...>
      Subject: [pfaf] Green manure/mulch
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, 27 January, 2011, 13:19

      Hello fellow Pfafers,

      I have half an acre that I want to sow with green manure so it is ready
      for 2012.
      Which green manure can you recommend that alsoproduces lots of mulching
      material at the end of this growing season to cover my existing beds?

      The land is in Forres, Scotland.
      What is your opinion?

      Thank you!

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic