      From: Elaine Sommers <elainesommers@...>
      To: pfaf <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm
      Subject: RE: [pfaf] suspended composter

      While we are talking about compost, I had what seems like a more than usual amount of fruit flies back in the autumn last year. Did anyone else have the same problem or was i doing something wrong? It has never happened to me before and I've been composting for years. We moved here last May and so it might be the area or it could be my newly set up composting system. I'm limited to where I can put it as the last resident had practically all the garden covered in blue plastic sheeting years ago, and I am trying to shift it bit by bit which isn;t easy because roots from nearby bushes and trees have come over the edges and then down into the plastic, pinning it to the soil.

      "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
        Goethe

      "Losing your mind can be a peak experience!"
        Jane Wagner

      "Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death."
        Blaise Pascal

      ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

      from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: gardenchick1949@...
      Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 04:46:28 -0800

      Placing your compost on the soil is important because as the materials break down, worms will migrate into the compost & assist with the process (other insects that are harmless will come also).
      Soil microbes are also important - they're found in healthy soils & they make it less likely that a pathogen can establish itself in high enough numbers to harm your plants.  You encourage soil microbes by placing your compost pile on the soil.
      Also turning your pile & keeping it moist encourages microbe growth by adding oxygen and distributing moisture.
      Gail

      From: david.keltie@... <david.keltie@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, January 24, 2011, 5:27 AM

      Had one - produced a wet sludge (nowhere for excess liquid to drain). Horrible.

      HTH, David