      From: Matteo Mazzola <silvanelfo@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, Apr 20, 2010 1:16 pm
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] Plants to follow chicken

      the chicken poo is highly concentrated, with very much of nitrogen. They soil get quite fast "burnt" by that nitrogen and just few plants can deal with that condition. Compaction is the progressive consequence of a soil without plants/roots that "hold" the structure of the soil.

      What you can do are small chicken wire domes or structures that protect highly growing, nutritious plants. The wire will protect the plants from overgrazing but the chickens will manage to eat some of the leaves growing out from the wire.
      A very good plant for this is comfrey.
      You can also plant mulberries in that space.. chickens like those fruit very much!
      I leave the advice for good fodder plants to the experts!

      good luck