      From: watchintheriver <maury@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 6:45:25 AM
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: Eating Sustainably

      Mountain Rose, an herbal company in Eugene, OR sells Avocado Oil. I think it is www.mountainreose. com, or Google it.

      Sustainable gardening has been one of my lifelong passions. I also forage. My yard contains, naturally, everything from Asparagus to Barley Grass, rose, currants and wild plums. I collect Rumex, Chenopodium and Plantain (Plantago) seeds. My freezer is full of not only vegetables from my garden but Goosefoot pesto. My larder and dried stashes include herbs, seeds and roots/tubers from Lovage, Milk Weed, Cat tail...What I can't gather/grow here I can collect in the mountains or buy locally. Pinon, great Chiles (we have a short season).
      I 'inherited' two acres of lush field that is sub-watered. In the canal is Reed Grass, Smartweed, Brook Mint (and Mallards right now). My predecessors, Spanish with their keen sense of remedios and drawing on Native knowledge, grew a garden of herbs including Native Silverweed and Osha (Lovage), they imported wonderful Dandelions and Purslane. It has been a pleasure to 're-instate' the weeds and add other important plants because of their medicinal/edible uses, as well as beauty to deter the Quack Grass--the only thing I have found in my yard that has no use, per se.
      My goat straw is recycled-after a year of fermenting-into my garden and my neighbor brings me Elk now and again....
      On a fixed income, I feel pretty darn sustained... .

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, Peter Ellis <peter.ellis@ ...> wrote:

      > The message <790645.35961. qm@...>
      > from Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@ ...> contains these words:
      >
      > > only cook w/ coconut oil, ghee, or avocado oil (high smoke points).
      >

      > Hi
      >
      > Where do you find avocado oil ? I cannot recollect ever seeing it before.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > --
      > Peter Ellis
      >
      > Porec Sales Office
      > Croatia Property Services
      > A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
      > Selling in the new Tuscany!
      >
      > Tel +385 (0) 92 247 5879 Personal
      > +385 (0) 98 1 826240
      >
      > peter.ellis@ ...