4852Re: Permaculture Association February E-bulletin - research on Polycultures etc

  • i23testingcyborg2000
    Feb 24, 2010
      Hi yeah, I checked out this link, and tryed to join the project - but the input form doesn't work properly by the way...allowing the USA to be the only country of residence...and obviously we need to see where in the world people are based to see if the work/plants we are doing/using are compatable with relevant others.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "trentrhode" <trentrhode@...> wrote:

      > I want to mention that there is an online tool in development with an organization called the Apios Institute, with Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier being part of it, that is designed specifically for people to share and document plants and plant combinations that work in regions throughout the world.
      >
      > http://www.apiosinstitute.org
      >
      > Currently the system is in its testing and data input stage, with a lot of plants and polycultures already added. If anyone is interested in helping to get it going faster (e.g. inputting plant data), let me know and I'll pass along the message.
      >
      > "We envision an integrated system of diverse collaborators undertaking action research, cooperative plant breeding, and participatory education using a distributed network of research and demonstration sites in various regions within the world's temperate forest biomes. We focus initially on small-scale systems for local production of food, fuel, fiber, fodder, fertilizer, farmaceuticals, and fun for urban, suburban, and rural environments, but we also address small-farm systems and support work at larger scales."
      >
      > ~Trent Rhode
      >
      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "i23testingcyborg2000" <cromlech108@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Let me throw this idea out to the group etc. (computor spreadsheet/s of polycultures/forest garden guilds etc.)
      > >
      > > Can't get my head around it with the limited computor access that I have at the moment...and it could be worked on by a group of students or whatever as a joint project, here or elsewhere. I think it might be worthwhile.
      > >

      > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "i23testingcyborg2000" <cromlech108@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > http://permacultureassociation.cmail3.com/T/ViewEmail/y/058789F1BD1DC029/833C7772F6CB092D6A4D01E12DB8921D
      > > >
      > > > Quote:
      > > >
      > > > One of the central assertions of permaculture is that growing things together is beneficial. To test if this is true and what combinations work best, we want to create a network of people experimenting with polycultures in their gardens and fields.
      > > >
      > > > To start this process, we want to bring together people working with polycultures, to explore what we need to know and how we might start finding out. We will be hosting sessions in Leeds (23rd March), London (30th March) and Bristol (date tbc) to begin this exploration. At the end of each meeting we hope to have that most important ingredient of research: a set of curious questions, and some ideas on how to answer them. To find out more, get dates and venues, and get involved, email research@
      > > >
      > > > Endquote.
      > > >
      > > > I'm interested in this field...currently studying David Jackes forest gardens work...
      > > >
      > > > http://www.edibleforestgardens.com/

> [...]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic