4108Re: Poly folly tunnel!

  • Sue King
    Jun 12, 2009
      Hi Kate,

      First of all, get Eliot Coleman's book "Four Season Harvest because now you have a polytunnel you will be able to use it for extending your growing season.

      I doubt that ventilation would be a big problem because your tunnel isn't very long. I do have a bit of a problem with mine - but it is 48'. I covered my doors (at both ends) with netting and then made 'roller blinds' from some of the left over plastic which I fixed to the inside so that I could maintain the temperature on cold and windy days. You might want to have doors at both ends too so that you can create a draught.

      I don't collect rainwater... but I plan to as soon as I can figure out a better way of doing it than the stick-on polytunnel guttering that you can buy which I have been told is not very good. But I do have 3 water butts INSIDE my tunnel. The water gets so warm, you could almost shower in it! Much kinder to the veggies. When I do get my rainwater collection 'system' going, I will feed the these butts from an outside butt.

      If you read Eliot Coleman's book, you will find that all sorts of possibilities will be open to you that you hadn't thought of before. Have fun!

      Sue

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <catherinejoyce1@...> wrote:

      > Hi there all,
      >
      > I have just acquired a poly tunnel- not large, just 12 x 15 feet. I wondered if any of you might have a few words of wisdom for me? Favorite plants to grow- or not, and if you mulch; what with? Do any of you collect rainwater off them? Are there any books you would recommend?
      > (I'm in Norfolk, UK by the way).
      >
      > Thanks
      > Best wishes
      > Kate