3473Re: [pfaf] Blue potatoes

  • Griselda Mussett
    Dec 1, 2008
      Yes, they are quite tasty. Some are quite old varieties like Edzell
      (sp?) which has been around for about 100 years I think, named after
      a place in Scotland. You can get black, blue and purple spuds as
      well as red and white of course. We've been eating and growing these
      for several years.
      Griselda

      On 30 Nov 2008, at 22:29, Peter Ellis wrote:

      > Today I found something I'd never heard of before, in a local
      > supermarket, blue potatoes. Googling them produced lots of results,
      > which really surprised me. I thought I'd come across most foods
      > before,
      > as I've travelled extensively, but I'd never heard of these, let alone
      > seen them before.
      > Since they were locally produced, I think I might try growing some,
      > although they apparently aren't noted particularly for flavour. One
      > source reckoned they were high in antioxidants though.
      > I was a bit surprised at finding them, as food colour is
      > controversial.
      > I recollect one university experiment where researchers used food dyes
      > to colour common foods unusual colours, then tested demand by offering
      > them to members of the public. Things like green hamburgers went down
      > like a lead balloon!
      > Googling also brought up red (as in red fleshed) potatoes and things
      > like Yellow Finn, with suggestions for patriotically coloured dishes.
      >
      > Has anyone any experience of these?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Peter

      The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
      that they are so good for you they could save your life.
      By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
      2003
      Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
      The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
      peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
      tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
      (no gluten).
      and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
      Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
      Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
      Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255