3333Re: balanites aegyptiaca - any information welcome

  • jayabuddhi2006
    Nov 6, 2008
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Leoke <leokeaerts@...> wrote:

      > Suggestion: try to find Egyptian suppliers and ask them what about. And
      > then, are you interested in the plant or in changing the world, in
      this case
      > Egyptian ways of doing business.
      > Best greetings,
      > Leo
      >
      > 2008/10/30 placeedevey <placeedevey@...>
      >
      > > Greetings! I'm an aspiring crafter of natural bath-and-body
      products,
      > > and I am looking into various plants and herbs which I can use in lieu
      > > of some of the more nasty synthetics out there. In my searching for
      > > various plants I have come across balanites aegyptiaca, the "desert
      > > date". This tree is very old, and references to its use have appeared
      > > in Egyptian texts. It was one of the ingredients in the sacred
      > > incense "kyphi" and is still used today as the oil is edible and has a
      > > fair few vitamins and minerals. It's currently attracting attention
      > > for use as a biofuel, but it's proving difficult to cultivate.
      > > However, according to various research I've done online, this plant
      > > has a lot of uses, and its cultivation and harvest would greatly
      > > benefit many areas around the Nile, especially as most regions are in
      > > a rather nasty period of drought.
      > >
      > > There are very few suppliers of balanites oil, and I'm not entirely
      > > certain whether the suppliers are using sustainable methods, or
      > > whether the proceeds for the oil is going directly to those who
      > > harvest it. So any further information is welcome. It might take an
      > > age before the oil could be imported to the UK, but the more
      > > information the better.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > >
      > > R. Day

      I am from sri lanka working as manager to an Arboretum , In our
      Arboretum having lot of Medicinal Plants can be use as Essential
      oil/Herbal extracts too. If anybody interest in this field ???
      Jayabuddhi
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic