333Jacob's Tears (croix lachryma-jobi)

  • benfordlaw
    Jul 1, 2003
      In view of its apparent anti-cancer properties I went to China town in
      London to buy a couple of pounds to sprinkle on my daily muesli. I was
      not successful, because I was not able to ensure that what they were
      selling me was not barley. I was not able to resolve the difference
      because the Chinese name for both appears to be the same.

      Does anyone have a uk source for it in whole grain form?

      I now realise that it is also to be found in India and so I might be
      able to buy it in a local Indian supermarket.

      Does anyone know of the Indian name for it?

      An added problem is that there are different varieties and I want the
      one that is most cancer effective. That is the one to be found in
      southeast China. I say this without knowing if the Indian version is
      the same.

      Here is some background information taken from

      http://i-sis.org.uk/full/GCM2Full.php

      "Chinese pearl barley the latest cancer cure

      It has long been suspected that the low cancer rates in southeast
      China could be due to a dietary staple in the region, Coix
      lachryma-jobi, or Jobs's tears, a relative of maize.

      The species appears to be widely distributed throughout the world. The
      seeds, shaped like tear drops and coloured greyish white to dark
      brown, are often used as beads in necklaces because they come with a
      perforating hole from one end to the other. When shelled, the kernel
      is white and looks like barley; and indeed, is referred to as such.
      Its Chinese name, yi-yi-jen, or yi-mi (in southeast China) is the same
      as that used for barley, or yang-yi-mi, `yang' meaning `foreign', or
      `across the ocean'.

      Yi-mi is used in soups and porridges and is a common ingredient in
      many herbal medicines for treating a variety of ailments including
      cancer. It has also been widely used as a diuretic, analgesic and
      antispasmodic agent."
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic