299[pfaf]re:skunk cabbage

  • Shannon Meeker
    May 27, 2003
      In the lower columbia river region, where I live, there was a story
      told about Skunk Cabbage being the little brother that kept the
      people alive before the Salmon people came. The roots are apparently
      edible, although not choice. The flowers could be cooked and eaten
      in small quantities, more making a person sick. The medicinal uses
      go on and on, but more information can be found in Erna Gunther's
      Ethnobotany of Western Washington. And it is also written about in
      Michael Moore's Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West. I love Skunk
      cabbage. It is such a wonder to enter it's sheltered streambed world
      in the early spring.
      --

      http://www.bramblehouse.org

      Registered Black Welsh Mountain Sheep