2881Re: Lotus edulis

  • v.scherrer
    Jul 31, 2008
      In case I conveyed an impression of discouragement, intolerance or a
      lack of understanding, I'm sorry, that was not really what I intended.
      I was merely trying to hint at a possibly better option for a plant of
      which the seeds seem, at least momentarily, hard to get.
      If there is still a need for more information, I read that people on
      the island of Corsica, France, eat the raw pods of Lotus edulis, and
      that this plant is known there under the common names "faux caroubier"
      and/or "lotier comestible".
      Anybody from Corsica or with contacts there, or the like, following
      this thread?
      Though it does seem to be a plant mostly found in Mediterranean
      regions and thus may have a heat requirement similar to the asparagus
      pea - unless one may be able to find some seeds of strains which grow
      near the limits of its northern range.

      Good luck with finding and growing these!

      Vital