      From: Brian <yarhoo@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:23:49 AM
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed
      article at:
      > http://mygardenguid e.com/index. php?
      option=com_content& task=view& id=1109&Itemid= 27  And found ou that is
      can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I
      do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly
      eates "Milkweed".
      > From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem
      to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice,
      and possibly some insect/spiders  able to eat the monarch's
      larvae/catterpiller /butterfly.  "We don't know much about the insect
      predators"
      > Monarch Butterfly Information:
      > http://www.learner. org/jnorth/ search/MonarchNo tes3.html
      > "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some)
      eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the
      Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
      > "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican
      overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate
      the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five
      species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in
      Mexico, only one eats monarchs
      > "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root
      of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a
      lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice
      in fresh water,"
      > For more information about the Milkweed:
      > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Milkweed
      > "Some species are known to be toxic."
      > For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and
      medcial action and uses
      > Pleurisy Root
      > http://www.botanica l.com/botanical/ mgmh/p/pleuri52. html
      > Pleurisy Root
      > Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
      > Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
      > Synonyms---Butterfl y-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root.
      Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
      > Part Used---Root.
      > Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a
      crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after
      boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the
      young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
      > Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmod ic, diaphoretic,
      expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
      > Thank You Daniel

      In Ken Ferns book plants for a future he says U can eat Milkweed

      Brian