2739Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed

  • daniel wildman
    Jun 30, 2008
      Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed article at:
      http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27%c2%a0 And found ou that is can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly eates "Milkweed".
      From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice, and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect predators"
      Monarch Butterfly Information:
      "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some) eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
      "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in Mexico, only one eats monarchs
      "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice in fresh water,"
      For more information about the Milkweed:
      "Some species are known to be toxic."
      For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and medcial action and uses
      Pleurisy Root
      Pleurisy Root
      Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
      Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
      Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root. Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
      Part Used---Root.
      Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
      Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic, expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
      Thank You Daniel
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic