2217Re: aging insomniae

  • Vital Scherrer
    Feb 28, 2008
      And another one at "www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81" scroll down to "Special Protection for Women's Health":

      "... For women between the ages of 35 and 55 who are experiencing
      peri-menopausal symptoms such as ... sleep difficulties ... a probable cause of all these
      problems is estrogen dominance ... Flaxseed ... helps restore hormonal balance...

      Health Benefits
      ... Flaxseeds are rich in alpha linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat that is a precursor to the form of omega-3 found in fish oils called eicosapentaenoic acid
      or EPA. Since the fats are found in their isolated form in flaxseed
      oil, it is a more concentrated source of ALA than the seeds themselves
      (although it doesn't have the other nutrients that the seeds do). ALA,
      in addition to providing several beneficial effects of its own, can be
      converted in the body to EPA, thus providing EPA's beneficial effects ... flaxseed oil capsules providing 3 grams of alpha-linolenic acid daily
      for 12 weeks-an amount that would be provided by 3 tablespoons of
      flaxseed oil a day-increased blood levels of EPA by 60% ... Eating about an ounce of ground flaxseed each day will affect the way estrogen is handled in postmenopausal women ..."

      Actually to prevent oxydation, rather than using ground flaxseed, I make a seed-milk smoothie - which is also a lot more palatable and delicious than the dry ground seeds - by soaking two heaped tablespoons of the intact seeds over night with dried (or fresh, added just before mashing) fruit and by pouring 0,5 liter (if prepared with a cup of dried fruits) of boiling water over them. In the morning I process it in a blender until the seeds are reasonably well mashed and smooth. - By the way, I also add two tablespoons of sesame seeds, cocoa- and ginger-powder, one teaspoon of each...YUMMY!!!...Health food at its tastiest!

      Nighty night everyone!

      Vital