2119Re: [pfaf] Re: Seeds Paw Paw tree

  • Mathew Waehner
    Feb 6, 2008
      Pawpaws would do quite well in NC- I am going to plant several here in
      Raleigh. I'm researching the best sources and varieties- feel free to
      contact me, I will have mine picked out in a week or two.

      The pawpaw needs shade for the first couple years of life, they were greatly
      reduced when the forests were clear cut. They are said to be quite common
      in the swamps of eastern NC.

      On 2/5/08, Gloria Alexander <truthgha@...> wrote:

      > Peggy, how would the Paw Paw tree do in NC close to SC line?
      > they sound good, and do remember this song, my mother used to sing to us.
      > Paw, paw patch!
      > gloria
      >
      > Geir Flatabø <geirf@... <geirf%40ulvik.org>> wrote: I live in
      > Norway,
      > a bit difficult getting plants / seedlings,
      > preferably seeds of the northernmost localities would be nice to get hold
      > of ..
      >
      > Geir Flatabø
      >
      > 2008/2/3, Peggy <peg6012@... <peg6012%40yahoo.com>>:
      > > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>, Pat Meadows
      > <pat@...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > American paw-paw is a tree, incidentally. It's perennial, too, of
      > > course,
      > > > but it is definitely a tree. :)
      > > >

      > > > I live in the USA, in the state of MO - zone 5b. Paw paw trees can be
      > > found in alot of our wild wooded areas. This year, the conservation
      > > dept has added paw paw's to their plant list. I've ordered 25 of the
      > > small seedlings. They are a great understory tree. The fruits are
      > > bigger than pears and taste like bananas. Old timer's ate then all the
      > > time. Now days, many people have never even heard of them. Wildlife
      > > treasure them also. Years ago, there was a song about them - "picking
      > > up paw paw's, putting them in my pocket -". Must have had big pockets.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Gloria Hartis-Alexander
      > Believing God
      > www.marykay.com/truthgha
      > MaryKay Shopping24/7

      Matt

      The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists
      who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood." - Dr. Martin Luther
      King Jr.