1969Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • veronica giselle lescano
    Dec 4, 2007
      Hi,
      If releasing the slug´s natural predator do not work, perhaps you can try with trap crops ( these are plants which are known to be attractive to the pest and which are used to lure the pest away from the actual crop), or intercropping (two crops are grown together, either intimately within the same row or in adjacent rows, when onions and carrots are grown together , the strong smell of the onions masks that of the carrots which are thus given protection from the carrot rrot fly, for example, some plants are known to be repellent to some invertebrates pests. Here in South America, as the soil is very humid, we usually use some of these techniques to protect crops from being damage by invertebrates,
      Greetings
      Veronica

      Infowolf1@... escribió:

      In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:10:56 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      ingrid_glass@... writes:

      sufficient predators (birds/frogs/hedgehogs etc) for there to be a balanced
      ecosystem.

      I would love to have a cute little hedgehog, but they are illegal
      in California and my cats might get hurt pouncing on it. Also,
      I might run over it in the driveway. Frogs would get eaten. Birds
      are my best bet.

      Do you know if rats eat slugs and snails? there is enough of a rat
      population here in the ivy to support owls who barf the results.

      Mary Christine