1967Re: [pfaf] Re: my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Allmende Verden
    Dec 4, 2007
      Hi!
      We do not have good experiences in using beer traps. The beer doesn't
      only attrack the slugs you've got in your garden, it also attracks
      every slug in the neighbourhood. So you are always going on catching
      them, while the next ones are arriving.
      The other thing I did not like was that not only slugs got drowned in
      the beer, but also flys, worms, beetles, and other small animals.
      And that happened although the hole of the traps was above soil level.

      Greets from northern Germany,
      Alex

      Zitat von Light2uToo@...:

      > "Travis Philp" _trphilp@... _
      > (mailto:trphilp@...?Subject=
      > Re:%20my%20HUUUUGE%20problem%20with%20S%20L%20U%20G%20S.%20Help!!!)
      > wrote:
      >
      > << Cut a few one-inch square or triangular doors into the container sides
      > and use the lid to deflect rain and prevent dilution of the beer.
      > Position the
      > holes just below the container rim and dig the container into the soil,
      > leaving the cut holes at or just slightly above soil level. >>
      >
      > That was so well-explained. Thank you! We have a lot of trouble with slugs
      > around here, which is southwestern Oklahoma. The odd thing is that
      > it can get
      > so, so hot and dry, especially in the summers, and yet we'll have problems
      > with slugs. I only use plants that are fairly drought resistant, because we
      > have to ration water sometimes. And still, the slugs will be a problem. They
      > must be little creatures.
      >
      > I think the idea of killing them with beer is a really good one, even mock
      > beer. Somehow it seems more humane than most other ways I've heard of.
      > Probably the most humane way would be to quickly smash them with a shoe or
      > something, but I can't deal with those sluggy guts. Bleecchhh.
      >
      > Lena
      >

      > _Click to Donate - Free donations to your favorite causes! _
      > (http://www.care2.com/click2donate/)

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30